OWN THE DAY -v- ONE DAY…… ~ Are we putting our lives on hold?
Most of us know someone who is absolutely passionate about what they do for a living – and it makes the rest of us jealous as hell. About 90 percent of people who go to work hate what they do, and they do it just because it’s a job and that’s what they have to do to make money.
I often hear people say “One day I’ll…live”; “One day I’ll… enjoy life.” They say things like “I’ll work really hard right now, make lots of money, have lots of prestige, lots of fame, or whatever …and then One day I’ll start enjoying life. One day I’ll start living.
So many people do this and it’s so very sad because they’re missing out on living life right here, right now! This “One Day” way of life doesn’t bring us happiness, and the main reason it doesn’t is because we can never be sure that if we reach our “goal” that it will bring us the happiness we desire anyway! It may not!!!!! However, if we do what we love and we’re passionate about it, whether we reach our goals or not, we’re going to be happy because we enjoyed the journey. Life, happiness is about enjoying the journey.
I think that what really brings happiness is living in the moment – enjoying today, enjoying the journey of our life. It’s not wrong to have goals and to work towards them. But our goals shouldn’t keep us from LIVING life and at least ENJOYING what we’re doing right now. We can do both. It’s a matter of finding that balance. Let’s enjoy what we do while we work. That’s really the key to whatever we’re doing in life. The relationship we’re in, can we make it better? The job that we have, can we improve it? A little bit of improvement over time can drastically affect our overall life.
I know that sometimes we’re in very difficult situations in life. There are lots of negative things that can happen to us along the way, but even in those challenging times, there is always something positive we can focus our attention on.
The 2 key elements here are:
- We just don’t know how long we have, so let’s not put off living today in hopes for a better tomorrow. Let’s live today!
- We should always realise that, no matter what’s happening, there really is always something positive to focus on.
If we believe these two things, then what will happen is that we’ll look for these positives, even with the challenges we face in our everyday life.
OWN THE DAY…
By focusing on the positives, being grateful for the simple things in life and being proactive every day you can in fact OWN THE DAY – and if you practice this EVERY day you’ll be surprised at how good you’ll get at it!
Here are my Top 5 Tips to OWNING YOUR DAY!
- BE GRATEFUL – When you wake up in the morning SMILE, and take a minute to think about 3 things that you are grateful for. eg each morning I think about the fact that I am grateful for just waking up 🙂 – and grateful for the sun ishining or that the rain is watering my gardens – really simple things that I am grateful for!
- SWALLOW THE FROG – You know “that thing” on your To Do List that you just don’t want to do? You know you’ve got to do it, but instead you put it off. We both know that you won’t do it, but getting it done first thing in the morning assures you that, if nothing else, you complete that one thing for the day. Getting those “frogs” done first thing in the morning often provides additional motivation to complete a lot of other things that day. After all, if you’ve already swallowed a one or two frogs, can the day really get any worse? Read more about Swallowing the Frog here>>
- LOOK FOR THE POSITIVES – Having a positive outlook is a CHOICE. You can choose to think thoughts that elevate your mood, throw a more constructive light on difficult situations, and generally colour your day with brighter, more hopeful approaches to the things you do. By CHOOSING to take a positive outlook on life, you can begin to shift out of a negative frame of mind and see life as filled with possibilities and solutions instead of worries and obstacles.
- KICK A GOAL – set yourself ONE goal for the day. Use the K.I.S.S principle (keep it super simple) and make sure you achieve that one thing. It might be as simple as go for a walk during your lunch break, or cook something new and different for dinner that night. Any small and achievable goal will put you in a good mood.
- MY 15 MINS – allocate at least ONE 15 min period in your day that is totally yours, to do whatever YOU choose. Listen to music, read, go for a run, grab a quick coffee with a friend. Whatever you choose to do with your 15 mins, it is YOURS – you OWN it! Do this every day and at the end of the week you will have stolen back 1hr 45mins of extra time for YOU!
The important thing is to live now and OWN EVERY DAY – not get around to living ONE DAY…it may never come! By following these 5 Tips, I can almost guarantee you will have a great day – every day. Sure sometimes other things sneak in. Shit Happens! But if you make a conscious effort to OWN THE DAY, you’re on the right path to living a Kick-Ass Life!
If you loved this article please feel free to Like and Share (buttons below) – and better still, drop me a line in the Comments box below and tell me what you did to OWN your day 🙂
Until next time…
~ Cherene x