The moon, being the closest astronomical body to Earth, has a profound effect on us. It represents the feminine, emotional, creative and nurturing aspects of our lives.
One complete cycle of the moon takes exactly 28 days to complete, radiating her energy to us in cycles of waxing and waning, bringing in and releasing, ebbing and flowing.
THE CYCLES OF THE MOON –
- New Moon: A new cycle. An energy of new possibilities. Time to set your intentions for what you want to bring into your life.
- Waxing Moon: New growth, continued action, results will come about
- Full Moon: High tide of power, amplifying and creative. It is a time to release that which no longer serves you, what you no longer need in your life or an aspect of yourself that you have outgrown.
- Waning Moon: Withdrawing, a sucking and pulling impact
- Dark Moon: A time to go within. Solitude. A powerful psychic time where revelations from deep within can emerge. It’s important to make space for the unfolding of spirit at this time in preparation for the new cycle and beginning.
The New Moon marks the beginning of the cycle and the Full Moon is the release.
At the Full Moon, the energy is powerful and intense. This energy surge enables you to take action – especially in regards to the New Moon intentions you may have made two weeks earlier. This is a perfect time for releasing something that no longer serves you; or letting go of something that you no longer need in your life; or an opportunity to let go of an aspect of yourself that you have outgrown.
Many people feel the energy intensifying in the lead up to a Full Moon. If you are one of them, performing a full moon releasing ritual to cast off what is no longer serving you may be of great benefit to you.
- A Full Moon ritual is a powerful way to invoke this (a ritual being a set of actions, often with symbolic value, performed in a ceremonial manner). Releasing. Letting go. Unburdening yourself. Purging.
- You get rid of the old, celebrating your emergence by stepping out of an old way of being / an old identity / behaviour / attitude / relationship / frame of mind / situation.
- The ritual marks this inner transformation in a formal, ceremonial way. Emphasising to yourself and the Universe that you are ready to let go for the new you to emerge. Making way for new magical opportunities to come to you.
DON’T HAVE YOUR OWN FULL MOON RITUAL YET? Here is one of my favourites…
Gather special items to create an altar or sacred environment. You might include crystals, journals, candles, incense or oils – or any other items that speak deeply to you. For example, feathers are a great symbol of connection to your guides and angels, so you may wish to have one present.
Weather permitting, perform your ritual outside under the full moon, or perhaps inside by a window overlooking the moon.
Set your intention! Take a few deep breaths, centre yourself and articulate what your ritual is for. Allow this to come from within your heart, not your head. (ie. don’t think about it, feel it). For example, “I create a releasing ritual to cleanse me of old behaviours and patterns I’ve now outgrown.” Saying this out loud does have power, as well as committing it to paper or in your journal.
Write down all the things you wish to release, remembering you have physical, mental, emotional and spiritual levels. This month you may just release from one body, or you may focus on all four. Journaling will help you see the connections from month to month, across all four bodies.
Give thanks for what it’s already served. Everything happens for a reason and while you’ve now outgrown whatever you are releasing, be sure to give thanks for its arrival, for showing you a new way forward and adding to your growth and development.
Symbolically cast off your list. You may wish to now burn the paper you wrote your list on, tear it into little pieces, or simply blow out the candle with the intention to set free all you wrote down.
Visualise the release. Sit for a moment, visualising all you’re letting go of. You might like to imagine it as symbol now floating off to the moon, or perhaps you hand your list over to your spirit guides and angels to carry and heal for you. See yourself freed from the weight of that which you no serves you.
Do something healing for yourself. This may be simply enjoying a cup of tea, eating a nourishing meal in the moonlight, lighting another intentional candle or cleansing your crystals in the full moon light. Mark the occasion in some way. Give yourself the gift of time.
Here are some suggestions for what you may want to release:
Fear of change || searching externally for answers rather than going within || resisting Divine Will || releasing a job/relationship/plan and the energy attached to it || the belief that you’re not good enough || future tripping || comparing yourself to others || FOMO || worrying about money || clinging onto things || fear of sharing || letting go of the need for approval from others || fear of criticism and judgement || old beliefs that are no longer serving you || pushing, striving, manipulation, forcing.
With the supportive Full Moon energy, what are you ready to let go of? Even if you don’t want to do a ritual, take a moment to consider what it is you’re ready to release from your life. Set your intention and allow the moon to work its magic. Let go of all that no longer serves you!
Enjoyed this article? Like it, Share it, Tweet it, Pin it – and feel free to share your comments or YOUR Full Moon Ritual in the comments below!
Until next time ~ Get Your Zen On