Pizza can be healthy too! Instead of a heavy and greasy pie crust, try this cauliflower and chia seed pizza crust instead. It’s healthy, delicious, and has many benefits and it’s from the peeps at Healthy Holistic Living…
Cauliflower is full of the vitamins that our bodies need and crave like thiamine, riboflavin, niacin, pantothenic acid, folic acid, omega-3’s, and vitamin K. It also serves as a good source of vegetable protein, phosphorous, and potassium.
Cauliflower is also good for your heart, digestive system, and it’s anti-inflammatory. Sulforaphane in cauliflower and other cruciferous vegetables has been found to signifigantly improve blod pressure and kidney function.
Chia seeds also play a starring role in this deliciously healthy vegan crust. Chia seeds are tiny black or white seeds that are full of fibre, protein, calcium, iron, and omega-3. They are loaded full of antioxidants that can fight the production of free radicals, which damage molecules in cells that contribute to ageing and horrible disease like cancer.
Make this crust, and you will not be disappointed in the flavor or the benefits!
- 1 Large head of Organic Cauliflower
- 3/4 cup of ground almonds
- 1 1/2 Tbsp Dried Oregano
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup chia seeds
- 3/4 cup water
1. Preheat your oven to about 220 C.
2. Mix your chia seeds in with the 3/4 cup of water and place in your fridge 20 minutes before intended use.
2. Chop the cauliflower, and place in a blender or food processor and blend until it is a fine rice-like texture.
3. Measure out around 3 cups and place into a large bowl, add in the ground almonds, oregano, salt, and pepper. Make a hole in the center and add in the Chia goop.
4. Combine the ingredients by hand and, and shape everything together into a ball. It should be loose and sticky not like a traditional dough.
5. Put the ball onto a baking tray and form into a flat crust with your hands. Make a ridge around the outside, and bake for 25 minutes or until golden brown.
6. Add your favorite tomato base, and toppings bake an additional 5-10 minutes and enjoy your healthy meal!