Why Use a Designer?
Should you engage a Professional Designer? Ask yourself these questions to help you decide!
- Do you have a really clear vision for your project?
- Do you have the time to meet with the various trades and services you will need to do the work?
- Do you have the expertise to the complete look you want to create?
- Has your space planning achieved the best possible layout for functionality?
- Do you have a seamless look for every facet of your design?
- Will the design you are creating stand the test of time in terms of quality and style?
- Do you have the time to shop around for your hard surfaces, PC items and appliances?
- Can you co-ordinate the delivery of all the materials you require to match the schedule of works?
- Do you have the knowledge to manage and effectively pull together the project?
- Can you negotiate the best possible prices to complete the project?
- Can you detach yourself emotionally from your project and look at it objectively?
If you doubt any part of the above, then engaging a designer can alleviate any fears you may have and stress in relation to your project.
If you’re on a tight budget, don’t assume that hiring a designer is beyond your reach.
Designers offer a variety of solutions to suit your budget, but hiring the right professional is the key to peace of mind, as long as you are clear in your own mind of what you want to achieve.
An experienced and effective designer will talk through your design dreams, and bring them to reality by using skilled space planning and visionary skills to create a beautiful and functional space. They will balance aesthetic considerations with structural planning to reflect your lifestyle, to complement the property’s architectural features, to create the desired mood and to ensure functionality as well as form. They will manage the relationships of all those involved in the project and ensure a smooth execution of the design process.
Once you have made the decision to engage a designer, the most effective way of ensuring you achieve your dream is to create a realistic design brief. It is crucial to the process and will save you endless frustration and disappointment. It will help your designer know exactly what you are aiming to achieve and ensure both a smooth, stress-free process and the best possible outcome.
How do you create an effective Design Brief?
Know what you want! The more visual information you can bring to your design consultation, the more streamlined the design process will be. A picture speaks 1000 words. Bring a folder with photos that show the colours you love, the textures you adore, the styles you follow, the colours that make you smile. Be specific, very specific. The more visual information you provide, the more likely you are to get exactly what you are hoping for.
What inspires you? Put together a scrapbook of homes or spaces who admire, long for, dream about. Your designer will want to add their own originality and design flair, which is what you are engaging them for, but it’s important to point them in the right direction. Originality plus effectiveness equals greatness.
Set a budget! Have a clear idea about how much you want to, and can afford to spend. A talented designer will understand the look you are hoping to achieve, and will find the right materials to suit your budget. This may mean full scale luxury and top end finishes, or there may be a compromise on how the materials are incorporated. Ultimately it is important that you are comfortable with your spend and that you maximise the effectiveness of your budget.
Communication is key! Be honest and be open. If there are any concerns, raise them straight away so your designer can change things before it’s too late or put your mind at ease – and finally…
TRUST THE PROCESS! Once you have hired someone you trust, give them the freedom to make your dreams come to life.